Chicago Teacher Fired for Dismembered Doll Project

June 13th, 2009 · 21 Comments

Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley commented on the firing of Morty Finjaro from the Forest Glen Public school, saying; “this guy is sick and there is no place for that type of twisted thinking in our schools”.

It seems ‘work-shop’ teacher Morty Finjaro brought in a box of old dolls and told his grade nine class to ‘rip ’em apart and build something cool’, below is an example of what student Jerry Fumme brought home to the horror of his parents!

gross image

Mr.Finjaro is suspended without pay, pending a school board hearing on June 30, 2009.  We were able to contact him via phone and when asked why he gave his student such an inappropriate project, he replied, “The world is a sick and scary place, better the kids learn it here in school than out on the streets.”

Update:  As this is posted under ‘mostly true news” (in this case it should probably be categorized as ‘mostly fake news’) I would like to credit Karen Booker for this cool original piece of controversial art and the photo itself.  And if you want to own your very own dismembered doll hooktastic item you can buy yourself one here.

Tags: Crazy People · Funny Pics · Might Be True · Odd Ideas · Offbeat Stuff · Scary Strange · Silly Products

• 1 SunshineKing // Jun 13, 2009 at 4:38 am

Sick? Sick is perspective. Sick is the state of mind, the being of that state, to be sickened by what one sees is merely a showing of ones lack of humor and understanding of human nature.

• 2 Jess // Jun 13, 2009 at 4:48 am

I think it’s pretty rad looking. People need to loosen up.

• 3 ijostl // Jun 13, 2009 at 5:25 am

It’s art.

• 4 hello // Jun 13, 2009 at 8:51 am

I wish I had him as a teacher when I was in school. I had a few art teachers that would allow very bizarre and tasteless works to pass, but they never encouraged anything strange.

I personally like the baby limb hook wrack. I think the boy’s parents are to fragile.

• 5 Dave // Jun 13, 2009 at 10:37 am

Sick is the teacher who stood the 9yr old autistic student up infront of her class and had them shout things they hated about him being “voting him out of the class” survivor style. Really sick is that she got to KEEP her job. This is nothing, there grade 9 students, they dont need to be sheltered and coddled.

• 6 Chicago Teacher Fired for Dismembered Doll Project | Reality Wired // Jun 13, 2009 at 1:29 pm

[…] Crazy Weird News Readers Rating: (No Ratings Yet)  Loading … Popularity:1 views Comments:None […]

• 7 Nathan // Jun 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’m 8 years old I think it is twisted awesome!! I hope I get a shop teacher like that that makes things out of junk. recycling is good.

• 8 David Millar // Jun 13, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Not only is this a great work of art, but a great project to reuse old dolls that otherwise would’ve been wasted in a landfill. I’m more offended that they want to fire the teacher for such a stupid reason.

• 9 Bobby // Jun 13, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I think that’s damned clever. A real conversation piece. That teacher should be rewarded for thinking outside the box and making learning interesting and relevant, rather than being fired.

• 10 Audrey // Jun 15, 2009 at 5:04 am

fake fake fake fake!!!

Here’s someone selling them on etsy:

• 11 Amy // Jun 15, 2009 at 5:05 am

hate to break this to everyone, but this is a hoax!

• 12 Bobby // Jun 18, 2009 at 6:33 am

Just because someone has copied the pictured item as is making money selling the copies, it doesn’t mean the story is fake.

• 13 Need a new coat rack? - Motorcycle-Journal Forums // Jun 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm

[…] a new coat rack? This guy had a very interesting design. coat rack __________________ January 2009 weigh in 227lbs, looking for 175lbs Current weight […]

• 14 ME // Aug 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm

That actually is really cool.

• 15 Andrew // Aug 17, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I am a studying teacher at the moment. I love the idea. Not enough teachers encouraging the use of the imagination!

If he is fired ot will be an outrage!!!!!!

• 16 Aurora // Aug 19, 2009 at 1:57 pm

This is such a joke comparing with the bloody movies kids are seeing on TV!

• 17 Aurora // Aug 19, 2009 at 1:58 pm

IT IS ART!

• 18 Danny // Sep 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I dont see what the big deal is?

• 19 Carly // Oct 7, 2009 at 1:56 am

Yeah, I think its retarded for the teacher to be fired over that! When I was in highschool my art teacher would have thought that was very creative, as do I.. Kids should definitely learn to be creative like that in life instead of being held back..

• 20 erin palmer // Oct 9, 2009 at 11:26 pm

That is so kewl and creative!

• 21 Lady Odd // Jan 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I can’t believe that people get their undies in a bunch so easily. Would this have been so inappropriate if it had been an art teacher? Give the man some credit for finding a way to give the kids a project that is “outside the box.”