For the JFK-assassination conspiracy junkie who has everything: L ee Harvey Oswald’s coffin. Body not included.
A Los Angeles auction house said on Tuesday it would sell the simple pine coffin in which the suspected assassin of President John F. Kennedy was buried for almost 20 years.
Bidding will start at $1,000, but the item is expected to fetch strong interest from museums and collectors of presidential memorabilia when it goes on the block on December 16.
“There’s just a lot of interest in Kennedy and anything to do with his assassination,” said Laura Yntema, auction manager at Santa Monica, California-based Nate D. Sanders.
The coffin was unearthed in October 1981 after a legal dispute between Oswald’s widow, Marina, and his brother, Robert. Marina successfully sought an exhumation to test a conspiracy theory that a lookalike Russian agent had been buried in her husband’s place, according to the auction house.
A medical exam showed the badly decomposed body was indeed Oswald’s, and he was returned to Shannon Rose Hill Memorial Park in Fort Worth, Texas, in a new casket.
The original coffin, which had suffered extensive water damage, is being sold by Baumgardner Funeral Home, the local undertaker which handled the re-internment.
An Irish author has been awarded the Bad Sex in Fiction prize.
Rowan Somerville won for his novel, The Shape of Her.
“Like a lepidopterist mounting a tough-skinned insect with a too blunt pin he screwed himself into her,” was one of the passages in the book that helped Somerville win the award Monday night.
He beat out Canadian Annabel Lyon. The B.C. author was nominated for her book, The Golden Mean. On her blog, Lyon said she was “deeply honoured” by the nomination.
In accepting his award, Somerville said he was glad to join the likes of Tom Wolfe, A.A. Gill and last year’s winner, Jonathan Littell.
“There is nothing more English than bad sex, so on behalf of the entire nation I would like to thank you,” he told the crowd in London, Bloomberg reported.
British journal Literary Review has been handing out the prize since 1993. I would like to see a list of past winners so I can avoid their books!!
Thanks to Holy Kaw, for this funny info graph!
I don’t know what all the uproar is, especially from feminists. I think Wonder Woman’s new looks is pretty cool, my only advice is to lose the black lipstick.
– A dating website has launched a “virtual sperm bank” meant to help users maximize their chances of having attractive children. BeautifulPeople.com is a site that promotes itself as having “a strict ban on ugly people.” Whatever happened to ‘beauty is in the eye-of-the-beholder?
– Police in Tennessee are still deciding if they should charge a man after rescuers searched for him for three hours because he was thought to have drowned, only to find out later he had been watching rescue efforts from a bar. The guy must be a total moron!
– An 18-year-old Indonesian man says he was seduced by a cow, and that’s why he was having sex with it. A neighbour caught Gusti Ngurah Alit allegedly wooing the farm animal on Sunday, the village chief on the resort island of Bali said, the Times newspaper in Johannesburg, South Africa reported Friday. Well maybe the cow was beautiful?
Seems like weird news has been a bit slow lately, so let’s look at the most stupid news stories of the week instead.
-Two goats sent to prison to nibble on the grass to reduce the cost of lawn maintenance, throw in this genius quote -“We threw the idea at him that we could use them to get into the hard-to-get areas, like the hillside and the fence line,” he said.
– Man with 50-year suspension caught behind wheel – No shit Sherlock, wonder how he got the 50 years of suspensions in the first place?
– Twin Sisters Ask Twin Brothers to the Prom – Ummm, who gives a cr-p? The pairs met at the grocery store where they all work. The girls say they thought it would be cool to double-date with another set of identical twins. Snooooozer!
– George Washington Racks up Late Library Fees – shocking!! Both books were due on Nov. 2, 1789 – go after his relatives for the cash I say!
Well his name, Tiger Woods is certainly all the buzz – check-out what Google search suggestion has to say about the whole thing.
The birthday suit gift presentation!
The really horrible ugly sweater present!
Don’t torture your pet for Christmas!
Watch out for this type of Santa!
Please not torturing the kids this season!
Be careful who you let decorate the gingerbread house!
Hope you have been good, because here comes crazy Santa!
Just have to squeeze in one cute picture!
He is dead….right?
And this one did not go over very well at the office party!
The doc is really a sissy!